Monday, January 22, 2024

Blog Post #2


Behind the Bench: Exploring the Intriguing History and Inner Workings of the United States Supreme Court




It can be recognized that the U.S Supreme Court is the highest court and holds the highest, overruling power in the federal judiciary of the United States. However, after watching the video and reading the Historic overview from the History Channel, I have gained a stronger understanding of its history and importance. 



One piece of information that I did not know since before reviewing this video and reading the overview is that there was only one Justice that was ever impeached. This information is intriguing to me because to be quite honest, I had no clue that the only way that someone who holds place as Supreme Court Justice, can only ever be removed by being impeached. I did not know this, and am yet surprised that only one has ever been impeached (Samuel Chase, 1805).
The most important takeaway from this video about the Supreme Court is the entire process of voting in the Supreme Court. The Senate Judiciary Committee votes to send an official nomination to the senate. To pass and confirm the nominee, the official full senate votes. This occurs by the senate holding a series of hearings with the nominees, The official vote involves a majority vote of the senate to pass. This is the most important take-away in my opinion because I did not know that the nominee has to pass hearings and go through an entire entry-like process before even being officially considered to vote. I had thought only the senate would have hearings and reject or accept the nominee. I did not know that there is an entire committee involved prior to that decision. This intrigues me because it is so interesting to find out that there is so much more unseen or unheard of acts that occur within the duties of power and getting there.


The most surprising information I learned is that there were not always nine Supreme Court Justices appointed. This surprised me because I did not know that George Washington had originally specified that the court would have six justices. I had no clue that there had been nine appointed only since 1869. 

The information from the History Channel changed my perspective on the Supreme Court and opened my eyes to see all the good that they do, enhancing my knowledge and respect for them. Recognizing how they are set solely on our Constitution, helps me see the bigger picture of the Supreme Courts loyalty and the capabilities it has for our country. When the Supreme Court rules on a Constitutional issue, that judgment is final. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #11

  Technology in the Modern World: Reflecting on Technology in my Life        Looking and reflecting on life and its intertwining with the us...