Thursday, April 25, 2024

Blog Post #11

 

Technology in the Modern World: Reflecting on Technology in my Life

      Looking and reflecting on life and its intertwining with the use of technology, I simply cannot picture life today without it. I have never been put in an environment without the use of technology incorporated in it. Technology is centralized in every corner of the globe, whether it is being through handheld technological devices, ways of communication, transport systems, or in the daily lives of the working force. Technology has an impact on everyone in todays society in a variety of ways.

Throughout this course this semester, I have reflected and recognized how much technology has an impact on my life, personally. The Mad World Remix of Moby Video shown in class represents the dangers of technology and everlasting growth of technology and its takeover on us as a society in our modern world. In this video, it represents society as being glued to their phones, facing repercussions and showing a more negative light on technology in society. It recognizes that we as a society are so distracted by technology, that we have grown to become unaware of other things occurring around us.

   The relationship between technology and society can be reciprocal. Society drives change within technology whereas changes in technology and interaction with technology drives change in society. From tools to computers, technologies have allowed people to become codependent on technology and allow people to shape the physical world and shape it to meet their needs through the digital eye. Although technology improves the lifestyle of human beings, it is also a major concern for future generations. There have been many developing negative impacts of technology in society. According to DC Report, these negatives can consist of a commonly-found increase in unemployment, increase in mental health concerns, and increase in cyber crimes. Nowadays, there is very limited balance within technology or social media within society in the workplace, social interactions, and online safety, which is the reason for the downfall of our society in terms of technology.

For me, I personally believe that I do not have the best relationship with technology. I am on my phone way too much to the point where I wake up, look at my screen, get ready for bed, and look at my screen. I believe that applications of social media such as Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok are the reason why my relationship with technology is so negative. Yes, it is a great form of communication and as a way to stay updated on current events, however, I view information that may not always be true, find ways of constantly comparing myself to others, leading e to thinking more negatively on myself and my life. This is commonly found among other people my age all over the world. Social media can have a very negative effect on mental health and self-confidence. However in some cases, technology has been a blessing- due to having family in other states, dealing with social change in the midst of COVID-19 just as a high-schooler at the time, and constantly finding ways of holding communication- yet keeping up with the world and important upbringings at times. Social media has had a mostly positive impact on my life and has helped me grow as a person in various ways. As a society, what needs to be understood in terms of technology is that it is not everything and it is not all we need in life to become the version of ourselves we are destined to become. The question we need to ask ourselves as a society is will we find the balance we need to survive or will technology weigh it down for the rest of our lives?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #11

  Technology in the Modern World: Reflecting on Technology in my Life        Looking and reflecting on life and its intertwining with the us...